Arsenal of Information
Nuclear Weapons Complex Documents
Budget and Economic Information
NukeWatch Fact Sheets and Documents
NukeWatch Press Releases
Los Alamos Lab Cleanup Lawsuit
Performance Evaluation Plans/Reports
NNSA Ten-Year Site Plans
Resources / Links
Books and Films of Note
About Nuclear Watch New Mexico
Join Our Mailing List
Donate to Nuclear Watch NM
Follow Nuclear Watch NM on Twitter
Follow Nuclear Watch NM on Facebook
Nuclear Watch YouTube Channel
Trump Admin and Nuclear Weapons Policy
Nuclear Watch Interactive Map of the
Nuclear Weapons Complex View full size
The Kirtland AFB Nuclear Weapons Complex
- The Defense Nuclear Weapons School ("the course teaches what happens with a nuclear terrorist attack and what entities respond")
- The Directed Energy Directorate ("develops, integrates, and transitions science and technology for directed energy to include high-power microwaves, lasers, adaptive optics, imaging and effects to assure the preeminence of the United States in air and space")
- The Space Vehicle Directorate ("develops and transitions high pay-off space technologies supporting the warfighter while leveraging commercial, civil and other government capabilities")
- The Airborne Laser System Program Office, ("develops, integrates, and transitions science and technology for directed energy to include high-power microwaves, lasers, adaptive optics, imaging and effects to assure the preeminence of the United States in air and space')
- The Operationally Responsive Space Office ("a proactive step to adapt space capabilities to changing national security requirements")
- The School for Advanced Nuclear Deterrence Studies began classes in August 2015 at Kirtland; a year long program which will "consist of AFGSC officers, civilians, and joint officers who seek to become masters of the nuclear enterprise"
"SANDS is for the best and brightest of the command," said Lt. Gen. Stephen Wilson, former Air Force Global Strike Command commander and the driving force behind the school's creation. "It will draw on educators and curricula from across the nation. These students will be the 'Jedi Knights,' the really smart folks every combatant command wants." (ref)
Kirtland Nuclear Weapons Complex
Kirtland AFB's official newspaper is The Nucleus.
"It is a measure of arrogance to assert that a nuclear weapons-free world is impossible when 95% of the nations of the world are already nuclear-free. I think that the vast majority of people on the face of this earth will endorse the proposition that nuclear weapons have no place among us. There is no security in nuclear weapons. It is a fool's game."
-Gen. Lee Butler (Ret.), former Commander in Chief, U.S. Strategic Command
||Our Mission: Through comprehensive research, public education and effective citizen action, Nuclear Watch New Mexico seeks to promote safety and environmental protection at regional nuclear facilities, mission diversification away from nuclear weapons programs, greater accountability and cleanup in the nation-wide nuclear weapons complex, and consistent U.S. leadership toward a world free of nuclear weapons.
Nuclear Watch New Mexico is supported by the Ploughshares Fund: Investing in Peace and Security Worldwide, the Windfall Foundation, Santa Fe Community Foundation Donor Advised Grants, the New Mexico Community Foundation, the New-Land Foundation, and by generous donors like you. Thank You!