Public interest groups will hold a press conference for a major announcement of a forthcoming legal action as the U.S. Department of Energy and the National Nuclear Security Administration forge ahead with plans to drastically expand production of plutonium pits, the cores of nuclear weapons, at the Savannah River Site in South Carolina and the Los Alamos National Lab in New Mexico. The legal action follows previous unanswered requests from the groups to DOE and NNSA as seen in correspondence in February and April.
– Tom Clements, director of Savannah River Site Watch
– Jay Coghlan, executive director of Nuclear Watch New Mexico
– Marylia Kelley, executive director of Tri-Valley Communities Against a Radioactive Environment (CAREs)
– Leslie Lenhardt, staff attorney at the South Carolina Environmental Law Project
– Queen Quet, the Chieftess and head of state for the Gullah/Geechee Nation and the founder of the Gullah/Geechee Sea Island Coalition
– Dr. Frank von Hippel, senior research physicist and professor of public and international affairs emeritus at Princeton University
WHEN: Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 12:00 p.m. ET/11:00 am CT/10:00 am MT/9:00 am PT
HOW: The public and interested citizens are invited to view the live press conference on the South Carolina Environmental Law Project’s Facebook page starting at noon ET on June 29 https://www.facebook.com/scelp.org/
If you are a member of the media and would like to attend the press conference, please email John Pope (firstname.lastname@example.org, 717-386-9270) or Lorraine Chow (email@example.com, 843-527-0078). Q&A with media is encouraged.
BACKGROUND INFORMATION: https://www.scelp.org/cases/plutonium-pits